Brexit or no-Brexit

In the last few months I have been receiving inquires from British couples who would like to get married in Italy but in the light of geopolitical changes, express their concern about post-Brexit procedures. Very often this is the reason why they decide to postpone their wedding or no longer consider getting married abroad. Which is a shame, because as you are going to read in a moment, not much will change from the legal point of view, or if there are changes, there will be the transition period long enough for you to take the right action.

In case the United Kingdom leaves the EU, the procedures will change. But they will not be new. In fact, it is predicted that if Brexit happens, the legal requirements for British citizens willing to get married in Italy will go back to the procedures used to be executed a few years ago. As far as the documents are concerned, you will still need to get your certificate of no impediment from your local registry office. What will change is the legal path and different authorities involved in recognizing your documents as valid ( i.e. the British consulate in Italy).

My advice is to not wait for the politicians to take their final decision. Book your wedding date in advance to secure the venue and all the time you need for the preparations, arrangements, etc. Don not worry; even if you book your wedding a year ahead, you will not be requested to collect the documents immediately –they are only valid for 6 months. And with the transition periods in force in case of Brexit, there will be enough time to follow the right procedure.

As for other arrangements, bear in mind that to travel in the EU, British citizens, not having an actual ID, have always needed a passport and coming to Italy for your wedding will still mean travelling as tourists, with a stay no longer than 90 days, a visa will NOT be required. The only change you will notice as you arrive at your destination, will be the exit you will have to take. This time you will have to head for “non-EU” 😉

However, what I have just described regards only the British citizens residing in the UK. Being a British citizen but residing outside the UK means that the legal procedures for you are already different, regardless of Brexit. In my 14-year experience I have come across various scenarios depending on the country of birth/country of residence. It is my job to analyze every case individually and guide you. Brexit or no-Brexit, if your dream was to get married in Italy, do not hesitate anymore. I am here to help you.

About me

I am the co-founder of Frinaeventi, an event planning company that specializes in weddings for foreigners in Sardinia, Italy. We have been operating on the market for more than 12 years. One of my roles has always been to follow the couples requesting a legally-binding ceremony in Italy. Among the hundreds of spouses we have successfully wed there are people from all over the world, including almost all European countries, the Russian Federation, the US, Australia, Canada, Argentina and Brazil, to name but a few.

Vittoria Sirena
Vittoria Sirena, the founder of LegallymarriedinItaly

My educational background consists of the MA in Political Science, Law and Public Administration, which courses included also the International Law and the Civil Law. Through the university years and professional work I have examined and exercised the International Conventions that define the civil and family status. I know how to implement the rules and regulations, regarding especially foreigners wishing to marry in Italy.

Over the years I have built a network of contacts within the local and national administration, lawyers, embassies and consulates, state officials and sworn translators with whom I collaborate on a daily basis. I can guarantee a successful outcome with a professional approach and fast proceeding.

Last but not least, I speak fluent English, which should not be taken for granted when dealing with local administration here.

With my team we offer the assistance with all the procedures regarding legally-binding wedding ceremonies in Italy.

Italy is famous worldwide for its cultural heritage, delicious cuisine, but also for excessive bureaucracy.
If the last one overwhelms you, here comes the good news: you’ve come to the right place.

Our services cover all aspects of legal marriage in Italy so that your big event runs smoothly. Whether you are a foreigner dreaming about getting married in our beautiful country, a descendant of Italian expats living abroad or you are a mixed couple where one of you is an Italian citizen, our consultancy company will take you through the whole process of getting legally married, valid both in Italy and recognised in any country you wish, be it the country of your origin or where you reside now.

I am based in Italy and operate throughout the country.
Since 2006 we have helped hundreds of couples coming from about 50 different nationalities, which confirms our vast experience in this field.

Leave it to me. I know who to contact and how to intervene. I will go through the labyrinth of the Italian red tape so that you can focus on more pleasant things regarding your special day.

If these services are in line with your requirements and expectations, please get in touch at or use our online form

Contact us to see what we can do for you.

Vittoria Sirena

The founder of